Saturday, June 4, 2011

Our Honeymoon: Roma, Part I...

Wow, have I missed this little blog! We returned from our honeymoon two weeks ago and had lots of stuff to sort out. I guess that's what happens when you're gone for 6 weeks. We also had to get situated back in our apartment which we sublet while we were away. It's been a bit of a challenge to get back into everyday life and come down from the excitement of going new places with no work to do. I'm gradually getting back into the swing of things and can't wait to share our adventures with you all!

Our honeymoon adventure began in Rome, Italy...one of my favorite places in the world. The first time we went to Rome two years ago we did all the touristy stuff. We visited the Colosseum, the Forum, the Spanish Steps, etc. This time we were meeting my Italian family for the first time. True Romans. They asked us what we wanted to do and we said we wanted to experience the true Italian lifestyle. With nothing else said they planned our whole holiday and took the whole week off work to be with us. To say it was spectacular would be an understatement.
Ah, the elusive Fiat 500. If I could drive any car in Rome it would be this one.

My family - Marco, Marina & me at Monte Mario

This is a mountain side village called Calcata. Lots of artistic hippy types reside here.






































Parco di Veio - the road pictured is an original Roman road!
More of Parco di Veio


For dinner we had pasta...as the first course.


Yes, please!
Before dinner Marina taught me how to make authentic tiramisu.
Then she sweetly wrote our names on top.

Here is the recipe she shared with me. I jotted the recipe down from memory right after I made it... which is rather obvious. But I promise it will turn out well. So delish!!!


Homemade Roman Tiramisu

Ingredients:
  • 4 Eggs (yolks divided from whites)
  • Container of mascarpone cheese (I don't remember how much exactly but whatever the container of mascarpone comes in is the right amount)
  • 2 bags of hard lady fingers (1 bag may be enough depending on how big your dish is...we had to use about 1/2 of the second bag)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • espresso (make enough to dip all your lady fingers in)
  • chocolate powder to dust on after (preferably Italian chocolate like Perugina Cacao)
Separate the egg yolks from the whites in two medium sized bowls. Add the sugar to the egg yolks, blend until creamy. Set aside. Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add the mascarpone to the egg yolk mixture, stir together with a spatula. Fold in egg whites (only the fluffy part). Lightly dip lady fingers in espresso and layer vertically in the bottom of your dish. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture on top. Then add another layer of espresso dipped lady fingers horizontally and add the remaining mascarpone. Refrigerate for no less than two hours. Once cold, before serving dust the chocolate powder on top generously.

Enjoy!!

Will post more of Rome shortly!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. You pictures are amazing! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what magical pictures :) such great memories. I loved Rome when I went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures is really beautiful. It looks like you had an amazing trip. I hope I one day can go to Rome too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails